so i have found a new love:
roller derby.
i'm not a sports person whatsoever, when G has football i usually just sit and stare, no idea what's going on, trying to keep my eyes open. i can't really catch a ball, and forget making a basket.
i worked with the DC Roller Girls for an event about two years ago, and I loved them. They were all so sweet, and you could tell that they loved what they were doing. I thought to myself, I want to do that. But, alas, DC is a bit too far. I've been keeping an eye out though, checking periodically for a NoVA team to surface.
Then the Loudoun Times Mirror posted a video on Facebook of a new derby league that had surfaced in April. As soon as I told Chris he said I had to join. I emailed, went to a practice to watch. It was a bit intimidating (damn those girls can skate) but I wanted to do it SO BAD. I wanted to be on skates, learning how to kick some ass. So I filled out the forms, squared it all away, and became an official member of the NoVA Roller Derby. The ladies are so nice, willing to work with the noobs. I love the team. So very very much. I felt really welcomed by them.
Problem is? I had no skates, no gear. Crap. I bought skates secondhand from one of the other ladies (Thanks, Marcy!) and went to Alpine Ski Shop for the rest (they are so helpful there BTW, changed my wheels for me and everything). Once I had everything I went to the outdoor rink a couple times on my own, trying to get the hang of it. Have I mentioned I haven't been on skates since sixth grade? Have I mentioned I'm a wuss? I guess I will learn to get over it, right? Hey, at least I was learning to fall properly. Fall forward, not back!
My first practice on skates I was ready to go. Got all suited up and got out there. Worked in the fresh meat group, but my back kept being a jerk, so I had to stop more than I would like. Kept telling myself to push through, that after the surgery I would be able to skate no problem. Getting the hang of the derby stance, getting low, etc. Then while I was trying to learn to slow down using the toe stop (which for some reason was escaping me), I went down. I went down HARD. And no, I didn't fall right. Instinctively I was protecting my back, so I went down with all my weight on my arm, which twisted at a very strange angle. Dear Lord it hurt. I started to cry (ugh. seriously, see how I am a wuss?), took off my pads, and one of the ladies who is a nurse (thanks again, Marcy!) checked it out for me. Needless to say I went skateless for the rest of practice. I felt like a total wuss, especially after I saw the more experienced girls go down hard and get right back up. One day I will get there I told myself. One day.
I figured I'd sleep it off, be ok. The pain in my jaw, my back, my arm, would be gone by morning, just bruises. After spending most of the night thinking about stealing one of Chris' valium, I finally fell asleep.
This morning my arm felt worse! Getting dressed was hilarious. I went over to Patient First as soon as they opened. I had xrays done on my shoulder, elbow, and forearm which were quite painful to get in position for, but I gritted my teeth and did it. Turns out I sprained both my elbow and my shoulder! Whee! Doc said she didn't see any fractures, but a radiologist reads all the xrays at the end of the day and they will call me later. She slaps me in a sling, gives me some Tylenol 3 (which doesn't help much, BTW) and sends me on my merry way. So I am a one armed weirdo right now, and all I want to do is get back on my skates for practice Thursday night. Maybe I will feel better by then? Probably not.
I love derby. Did I mention that? Injuries and all.
Also, I typed all of this out without my sling, which hurt like hell. See? I'm learning to get over it and be a badass.
You are sooo BAD ASS!!! I love you!
ReplyDeleteI love that you kept distance in mind, and that you kept an eye out for this dream. I love how supportive Chris was:
ReplyDelete"As soon as I told Chris he said I had to join."
You'll endure and mature, and look back a day probably not too far away and see vast improvements. I'm so happy for you!